Monday, November 28, 2016

Module 8


This module was all about video production and how it can be used to analyze literary elements. One of my favorite in class assignments was  completed during this module and that was creating the storyboard of the short story, The Story of an Hour. A rather morbid story, it is filled with extensive detail that make creating visuals quite easy. We were each given a piece of the story to turn into a storyboard, or a sequence of drawings planning the shots for a movie.

I loved this part because I am a very visual person so when I read novels, I imagine everything, even the smallest details in my head. I am the type of person who needs to visualize it to really understand and enjoy it. One of my favorite things in the world is when books I love and have connected with are made into movies because then I get to experience it in an even more intimate way. Bringing my ideas to life and collaborating with fellow classmates to create the final product was challenging, but enjoyable. 

In terms of the project, the video analysis of a literary theme, while brainstorming about ideas, I became a little apprehensive. I do not have a lot of video production experience, but have always been intrigued by cinematography and all of its elements. I am a big movie fanatic who is very aware and appreciative of all of the strenuous work that goes into a movie's production.

For us, the only difficult part we had was picking a novel and then a specific chapter. After meeting a few times, we finally decided on To Kill a Mockingbird as we had all read this book and were aware of its implications and strong elements that would help us recreate it visually. We chose the courtroom scene where Tom Robinson is convicted and Scout and Jem feel the pain of injustice. The collaboration of our ideas were fascinating and we all considered the attention to detail. Our storyboard features specific shots that were planned to emphasize our theme, the existence of social injustice. In the end, the production process was easy and everything really flowed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment