Monday, October 31, 2016

Module 6



In this unit, argumentative writing was covered and it was no easy feat. 

The readings for this module included Hyler Chapter 5 and Gura Chapters 12 and 13. Hyler discussed argumentative papers and how to best format them. He also compares argumentative writing to persuasive writing and stresses the importance of knowing the difference. Argumentative writing involves facts and knowing both sides of the argument, whereas persuasive is more one sided, looking to merely convince an audience. I think to understand one, you need to understand both. 

Gura discusses argumentative writing as well, but focuses on tools that can be used to enhance an argument. Blogging is heavily emphasized as a prewriting exercise and, as a big advocate for blogs, I loved this. I think blogging is a great tool that also involves peer review and 

My favorite part of this unit, however, was the Public Service Announcement assignment. I appreciate a great public service announcement and think they are necessary for keeping people aware. Many times we get so caught up in our everyday activities that we forget to take a step back and care for the world around us, the world we live in. 

The following was the PSA I created... (My printer ran out of ink, so unfortunately I did not have the PSA I would have liked for the gallery walk)



I did my PSA on voting because I thought it was very relevant with the election only a few weeks away. I cannot tell you how many times I hear people complaining about our president or political officials and then have the nerve to say they did not even cast a vote. That is exactly where the inspiration behind my announcement came from. 

Overall I think this unit was very helpful and I took many things away from it. As a non-education major, I always skew the content to fit my needs and sometimes it is rather difficult. With this unit, I found it fairly simple and even got to utilize design elements, which is a huge part of my major. 



No comments:

Post a Comment