Monday, October 17, 2016

Module 5

In Module 5, the objective was to discuss strengths of digital tasks that enable students to create original narratives. The chapters discussed in this unit contained a lot of relevant information, but something about Gura Chapter 2 really stuck with me. At it’s core, the chapter discussed how creativity is being jeopardized in school due to the preparation for state wide assessments.

I really resonated with this because towards the end of my time in high school, more and more state assessments were added. Luckily, as a senior, I was grandfathered out of them, but saw my sister and her friends suffer.


The digital tool within this chapter, Animotoa service tool/application that allows the user to produce slideshows from pictures, video clips, and music. I had never heard of this tool, but it immediately caught my interest and would have loved to utilize it's features in some of my classes.

The assignment, "digital story pitch," required the students to create their own short stories and then create an Animoto to endorse/sell their pitch. I love the kind of assignments that allow students to focus on something other than just the writing. Writing is not everyone's strong suit and it is important for teachers to understand this and incorporate a diverse set of learning tools within the curriculum. 

In the discussion surrounding this Chapter, TO brought up a very interesting point regarding the animated pitches and if students should be told about it before writing their stories or after. I thought it would be wise to tell them ahead of time so they could get the most out of the assignment. Sometimes students put in a minimal effort if they think the assignment is solely what is in front of them. If you told them at the beginning, the opportunity for critical thinking would present itself with the potential for great work. 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,

    A few things about your post resonated with me. First, the fact that you saw firsthand how creativity is being jeopardized in schools is just heart-breaking. I, too, recognize this when I talk to teachers and students. It is quite frustrating especially when we spend a great deal of time in this class talking about assessments that are "outside the box" and really get students engaged, writing, and thinking critically. This is why I always push you all to share the value of a reading or task. Even if you or a classmate is not an English Ed major, you bring a lot of perspective as to the value of the tool being used. (or in some cases, the reason why it might not be used.)

    Secondly, you have a good point about giving students both assignments--the writing and the animoto video. I like that you mention that sometimes students do put in minimal effort. If you give them a large project or a double project, as this case, it might be helpful to give them a timeline or help them break down the work into stages.

    ReplyDelete